Dr. Shalini Kapoor Kad
Dec. 21, 2010
A homoeopathic paediatrician, a counselling expert and a freelance writer are a few words to describe my profession. My sole aim is to put forth practical piece of information that guides every one right in the direction, blending the medicos to a layman with a simple gesture to make the medical things a little less convoluted and comprehendible.
Is there anyone who has not been troubled by severe backache sometime in life? Almost all of us have gone through the pain and displeasure due to back pain. If it is momentary and goes off after a while without any medication or exercise then no cause of worry. But if it is persistent, then the reason and cause both are needed to be looked into as simple backache can lead to problems to multiple body parts in the future.
Since backache is a condition and not a disease you can always reduce the pain and improve the health of your back. The first step is to find out what exactly is back pain and causes of it.
Back pain is also clinically termed as lumber pain. Since the back is erect and divided due to the middle presence of spine, you can easily divide it as left back and right back. Usually the pain starts from the upper part near the neck and then slowly seeps towards the lower part. The pain can be centralized at any one part but the whole of back feels the effect and throbs with the ache. Many times backache is also the starting symptom of viral fevers and infections.
Causes of backache
The foremost cause of backache is absence of proper balance. People who carry weight like labors, postman, marketing executives, medical representatives, bulk carriers and the people who constantly work in same position like computer operators, drivers, office administrators etc. are the people who are more prone to such backache. Even children also suffer from back pain as they have to carry heavy school bags on their back. Fatigue or strain or regular habit of wearing high heeled shoes and sandals can also arouse pain in back.
Remedy for backache
- Regular exercise is the best remedy on any backache arising through carrying heavy load or sitting in one position for long period. You can try different forms of asana or aerobic exercises which strengthens the back muscles and spine.
- Different herbal ointments or oils prescribed by the doctors can be used on the paining surface to reduce inflammation and pain.
- When the pain is due to certain habits, then you can try changing them. For example, if you are in regular habit of wearing a high heeled sandals or shoes, try instead using flat heeled ones and see if it works.
- In case of back pain due to injury or accident, proper medication from the doctors should be taken so that the injured area heals up quickly.
- Eating plenty of Vitamin C enriched food also helps in fast recovery from back pain.
Exercise to reduce back pain
Tadasan: Stand straight with hands on either side. Keep your feet touching adjacent to each other. Now, slowly take your hands up. At the same time raise your feet so that only your toes are touching the ground surface. In this way try to pull your whole body in upper direction.
Bring down the hands slowly and let your feet rest on the ground. Repeat this exercise3 times initially and 5 to 7 times as you get accustomed to it.